Monday, November 28, 2005

Thanks for... Triple Antibiotic Ointment



Okay so here we were for the weekend. Playa Esmeralda on the south coast. Jesse and I... leaders of the 'teens' at the Christian Reformed Church Retreat. We were fill in's as the original reformeds could not make it. I'm not as up to date on my TULIP as some others. However, we had a very good time talking with the 'teens' about church and community... all the while staying free at the all-inclusive beach resort for 4 days. And... there was turkey.

I have to admit that if you can't be home for the holidays... being on a beach is the next best thing, though it can be very dangerous. I returned home last night on the verge of a 102 degree temperature... my throat has lost the fortitude to withstand wet hair AND airconditioning. I also bear the bruisings of a nastily scraped up left knee and right elbow from a beach volleyball game in which I was attempting a 'volleyball babe' move. I also somehow managed to scrape the skin off the top of my right big toe by trying to kick a bug across the floor. um.

Pleasantly, the Lord also managed to scrape away some of the haughtiness and judgment I brought with me to the weekend. I had made unfair and unwise assumptions about the people and their theology long before I even got in the car. I was very much in the wrong. This weekend I received blessing for all my cursing. I received friendship and appreciation for all my judgement. I received trust and encouragement for all my religious pride. I am very thankful.

Others managed to survive the weekend unscathed. I was not so lucky.

6 comments:

zenner's said...

good advice kevin... i'll look into that. I heard the "Take My Breath Away" song just a few too many times this weekend...and now i'm thinking it might have been beyond coincidence.

Esue said...

now, just to be clear, was it the top gun version or the Jessica (soon to be former mrs. lachey)Simpson?

zenner's said...

the original. dominicans have this thing for sloppy love songs.
and jeremy, i know you also have a thing for sloppy love songs and i know you were a top gun fan... seriously, its warm here in the circle, get in.
cr

Sean said...

I like to think about me being where you are in six months on these cold, windy, winterish days. I'm gonna bring a hot girl with me. I want to be on a boat in the ocean at some point, fishing pole not required. Just cruising around and getting sea sick. Either that, or playing stick ball with the neighborhood kids.

The special word verification letters this time were "muhqhvk", which reminds me of the haircut I got a few days ago. (Yeah, it looks awesome, and I feel like a Sid Vicious or something.)

zenner's said...

hey yeah sean... you could come down here and we could all go out on a boat many days and play Ernest Hemmingway... minus the Abercrombie&Fitch firearm and plus signficant others. maybe we will find our way to Cuba. woohoo! cr.

Jesse is getting is hair cut sometime soon. maybe your do is the needed inspiration... i'd go for it.

Esue said...

My friend Katie broke her leg last year interpretive dancing to total eclipse of the heart...really. I could see someone doing some self-injurius movement to take my breath away as well...