Sunday, November 11, 2007

What I want.

I just read something I liked in a magazine.
According to Navajo tradition a baby is considered to be of two worlds at birth: that of the holy people and that of the people of earth. Here's what I think is very neat... everyone waits for the baby's first laugh; the sign of joy that communicates his desire to join his family and community here on earth. The Navajo believe the baby assumes the qualities of the person who is wittness to this lovely first laugh. So of course this person then throws of big party and everyone brings gifts and such. As the guest file past the baby with plates of food, the baby (with the help of his laughing buddy) gives salt to each guest. Now here is what I think is absolutly beautiful... the salt is meant to rejuvenante the good character in each recipient and serve as the first in a lifetime of generous acts by the child. At the meal's end, the host or a community elder blesses the baby, wishing him a life of generosity and gratitude.

THAT is what I want for Jackson. I want him to live a life of generous acts. I want him to learn to party and to fiercely love those around him... to draw out of them Christ's intention in their life. I want the Body to gather around him and anoint him in a life of generosity and gratitude and for Jackson to step into that anointing from a very early age... from the moment that he knows joy.

This is going to be my prayer everytime I see my little man laugh or smile... and praise be it happens often.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

the first time i met jackson was at a rollicking good party. they were even serving maker's mark. i think your hope has already come true.

Sean said...

Babies laughing sounds like little humans with sparse hair and underdeveloped bodies laughing.

I don't think I'd want Maker's Mark to be my child's first whiskey. I'd go with Heaven Hill Kentucky bourbon. It'll help them appreciate the finer things in life if he/she gets to experience things which truly suck. For this same reason, my parents always bought my new school clothes at Wal-Mart.

Kristyn said...

Based on the previous video, I'd say he's well on his way to a lifetime of laughter!

bethany said...

great post. I'm glad you guys are moving closer! But, you will miss those gorgeous fall leaves! keep on laughing