Wednesday, June 06, 2007

A CoupleThings, Up Up Down Down Select Start

First, the local paper here in Santiago ran this front page a day ago:

EL DIOS JAMES!!!



















Now, being that learning a language well enough to survive day to day is quite different from learning the nuances and cultural undertones of that language, I had to ask around to see if this claim was as it seemed. Perhaps 'Dios' has some kind of Dominican sub-meaning. Surely right? I asked three peace corp volunteers and the Dominican that came to fix my electricity. They all said the same thing. And thus the headline was what I first thought:

THE GOD JAMES!!
Apparently the Spurs have no chance.
Secondly, I decided last night, that after two years of living completely without TV and largely without anything other than books to occupy my free time I want one of these guys when I return to the States:


















I don't consider it a reward really. I mean after all, why should you be rewarded for something as naturally rewarding as reading?

But the thing is, I don't want to pay a dime for it. Seriously. I'm looking for a free PS3. My parameters are as follows:
  • I cannot pay more than fifty dollars for it. I know I said 'not a dime', but let's not be silly. As my wife says "at that price we'd lose money not to buy it!"
  • It cannot be a gift. I know you were all jumping at the chance.
  • It cannot be a won in a contest. I hate contests.
  • When said PS3 is attained a massive Guitar Hero party will thrown in my honor by me.

Okay folks. I need ideas.

8 comments:

Mr. Douglass said...

i heard a little story from a hamster about some bright sunny day in the future when all of us are floating down the Gudalupe river in tubes and enjoying some brews. did you hear about that story? i loved that story and that thought. we should definitely do THAT.

also.
can i make a request? could you please post something on your thoughts concerning "neon bible" by the arcade fire boys? i would really like your personal narrative about your interaction with this album. i heard a story about that too, but if you don't mind writing it up.....

you are the THIRD person i've talked to who has had an emotional flare up involving saline from the eyes when listening to the album. i don't mind telling you all that i too got a bit choked up. so, please, jesse, lay that story on us.

take it easy
mark

chelcg said...

me gusta el Guadlupe con dos equis.

NO ME GUESTA PS2... i'm offically against this idea.

Sean said...

Jesse, I am afraid I can't get on board your "PS3 4 Free" (that's what I've decided to call it) openly, since your wife is opposed to it. However, secretly, I will be scheming up a plan.

Such as...remember that guy who bought a house for a paper clip? Well, you know the story about the guy who started with a paper clip and traded up on e-Bay. You could try it.

I also noticed that you don't discount the lottery, so I'd reccommend, if Texa$ has one, to spend $50 on lottery tickets.

Then, when you have wasted all your money, you'll have handicapped yourself to the PS3 4 Free: Extreme. And that, my friend, is your solution. You simply video your quest to get a PS3 4 Free and either make a movie out of it, put it up on YouTube so it might achieve a cult following, or send it in to playstation and ask them to consider selling you their machine at a reduced cost, due to your strong desire to play Surrender on Guitar Hero II.

Anonymous said...

might want to lower your standards and go for an NES...Super Tecmo Bowl tournament at your house!!

Anonymous said...

this book here CHRISTINE is real good. and the lead character drums radio hits on the dashboard. that's kinda like guitar zero for PBS3 - right?

Gabe M.D. said...

I read you loud and clear. I know a couple of guys. They are usually parked on my corner twice a week in a VW van. They deal in desirable things. Stealing (and I'm not saying this is what it is), was noticably not on your list. I got you. Fifty should be plenty for the PS3. Just keep your mouth shut, oh, and they may call on you for a favor sometime.

Ryan said...

hey. guitar hero is cool. I like gabe's idea. I'm pretty sure I could find a ps3 floating around here in the west bottoms of KC if he can't produce. I'll scratch and necessary serial numbers off.

Gabe M.D. said...

a little german birdy tells me you guys are going to be in stl this summer. this information excites me very much. must see you, chels, and baby jackson soon.