Saturday, October 22, 2005

October 22nd


At 12:20 in the pm five days a week I teach Advanced Placement Comparative Government. There are six of us total wading our way through foreign policy. I enjoy teaching this class.

Every day at 1:12 in the pm AP Comparative Government ends. I make my way towards the teacher's lounge with a bit of a hankering for some lunch. Its already been a long day teaching bible and gym and foreign policy.

Everyday at 1:20 in the pm I open the fridge that only we teachers are allowed to keep things cool in. A moment of privilege washes over me. At the bottom of the fridge is a plate. Resting on that plate is a sandwich wrapped very carefully with a white napkin. On the napkin I find the inscription:

FOR JESSE.
I LOVE YOU SWEETHEART!
THERE'S AN APPLE AS WELL.
Five days a week this happens. I never ask for it, but there it is. Everyday. Lunch accompanied by a sweet note and a fruit.
Now, I feel like it might be a tad shallow to say "my wife is swell because she makes me lunch."
My wife is not swell because of what I get out of her. But I will tell you this. Everyday when I open that fridge and see that sandwich and that napkin and that note my stomach does this little two-step. I'm talking first kiss kind of two-step; take a chance, grab her hand, oh my god she didn't pull her hand away kind of feelings.
Everyday at lunch I get to feel this.
So in honor of my wife's birthday I ask that you would do two things:
One: drop a line and say hello. Tell her you love her. Recall a funny story. Tell her why she's great.
Two: make somebody lunch. Put a note on it and don't forget the fruit. Sneak up to their workplace if need be and drop it in the fridge of applicable privilege.
Trust me the recipient will know they are loved. Just as I do.
Everyday.
I love you too Chelsea. You are the absolute greatest. And there's an apple as well.

10 comments:

Shane said...

hey chels,

happy birthday. i appreciate you and love you because the glory of the Lord comes out of you in a real sweet way. you are always fun to be around. thanks for loving people and for being so kind.

shane

stevie said...

Hi Chelsea.

Have a happy birthday, there so far away. I remember that you and I met at EZs (home of the Dee-lickety-famous Fajita Bowl) and I told you that I was going to marry this girl Dora and you talked to me like I was a real grown up and that felt good for a change of pace. Thanks for being a talker who draws people out into the open. Also, your Christmas cards have always been the most artistic, inspiring kind, full of peaceful words. No kidding.

Happy birthday, there so far away.

Esue said...

I have leaned on Chelsea for a lot of encouragement and wisdom over the years. Tonight, one of my favorite stories is about the time she chased Jesse down the highway in heels because he had her keys and she'd lost her cell phone during the course of the day. This is my favorite story today because I have just lost my wallet and my keys, in separate incidences, and I know I have a kindred spirit who understands! That, and traveling with Chelsea is most fabulous, because she can talk her way in and out of ALMOST any situation (what happens at DFW stays at DFW). Love you girl!

Sean said...

I love Chelsea the day after her birthday because eight days ago I recieve a birthday-reminder e-mail from Plaxo. Then seven days later forgot. I used to think Plaxo might be some kind of internet scam, or at the very least a facility used by Satan to get the last four digits of my Social Security number and my mother's maiden name. How blind I have been! Dear Jesus! Chelsea, your birthday passed unnoticed by me this year, but always remember (always!) that one day later I thought kindly of you, and reminnisced (and possibly put too many n's in that word, for flare).

I wrote a poem for your birthday:

Yesterday was Chelsea's birthday
(Hooray! Hooray!)
Y-V-T-Y-L-F is the word verification for this comment
(Today! Yes, Today!)
Next time it might be R-C-C-E-W-P
(or U-A-B-C-D-E)
But next time won't be the day after Chelsea's birthday
(No way! Unless next time is exactly a year from today! Today!)

Esue said...

Sean, your poetry never fails to bring a little tear to my eye. So touching, so moving.

ehrwx

zenner's said...

talking IN and OUT of situations is now a thing of the past. chelsea can't freakin speak-a da spanish and therefor stood in line for fourty five minutes at the bank a couple of weeks ago and was unable to negociate needed transaction. an experience so bitter it was pushed to the fartherest farthumdom of her mind.. along with needed transaction which involved the payment of an electricity bill.

we had our electricity turned off yesterday. sigh.

later we had our electricity turned back. sigh, sigh.
then we went to the movies.

i love you guys. you feel good.
cr

Soulfari Kenya Administrator said...

Chels, I love you for the spirit that is shown so beautifully in this picture of you and Carol. Your heart is huge, your love is abundant, and your joy abounds!!

shantijoy said...

Chels - you have touched my life like few friends have. Looking at the picture on this post reminds me why. The Holy Spirit peeks from every inch of your skin and rubs all over that child.
I miss you. I love you. I am so proud of you.
Heather

Anonymous said...

Cool man

myleswerntz said...

chelsea robertson! i remember one day i was throwing my guts up in a trashcan as you and kevin were taking my car to springfield for the day, and you came and rubbed my back as i hunched over the garbage. it sounds a little dumb, but it meant a lot. happy birthday, and i miss you both!