Monday, April 30, 2007

Just Sittin

Well... it seems I find myself sitting squarely on my butt for about 45 minutes 8 to 10 times a day, on average. That's um, in the ballpark of 405 minutes a day.

As someone hilarious once exclaimed,"boobies feed da world!"

As a new mom (this is Chelsea in case you haven't yet caught on) I was deeply moved by this experience. During those 400 minutes I'd cuddle my baby, touch him, observe every inch of him, listen to him, pray over him, praise God for him and weep. After some days and weeks I moved onto to using those 400 minutes to accomplish something.... anything. Trying of course to keep these experiences spiritual and deep. I mean this is a perfect 400 minutes a day to put towards oh, say, memorizing the Sermon on the Mount in its entirity? Awe yes, good idea.

Matthew Chapter...

Hum. must of dozed off. You see, most of the time I spend 400plus minutes a day and night staring off into space or wishing I was asleep. Sometimes a notion or two will pop in my head. Which bring us to a questions.

Today I sat and sat and sat... and during some of this sitting I began to wonder... can I verbally explain the difference between irony, satire and parody AND give examples. The answer is... NO I cannot. I know it when I see it... I can look at it and say... oh, hello irony, but I mean FOR CRYING OUT LOUD... it's like identical twins you can tell apart when there's just one, but put them next to each other and your mind gets bumbled-jumbled.

Yes, I could quickly jump on dictionarydotcom and find my answers. But I like you people better... you're funny and I receive instruction better with a little humor. So what's the difference between irony, satire and parody? Teach me people...


[aside... I must confess quickly and quietly that recently I have begun to spend ample amounts of my 400 minutes watching the recently gifted (thanks Kris) Season one of Heros, but that breeds questions of an entirely different nature... such as, Do I in fact have superpowers?]

7 comments:

shantijoy said...

yikes - I love that... I aspired to bible study too, but the energy was never there.
I can't believe you're someone's mom!

travis said...

for the first nine months hannah wanted nothing but sleep, too. maybe longer than nine months.
when you're done with heros you have to check out the first season of 'friday night lights.' the best show on tv in a long time (since northern exposure!).
word to jessica simpson. jesse told me one time that you guys were tight. has she called you for any advice since breaking up with nick?
by the way, what is jesse going to do for work in dallas? hannah and i should come see you guys next winter when it's all cold up here.

Sean said...

irony: That thing that happens that, if only you knew it happened at the time, would have saved you from making a foolish mistake, but how were you to know?

examples: Alanis Morrisette, Romeo and Juliette killing themselves

satire: When you pretend to be talking about topic A, but actually you are all over topic B.

examples: Swift, the Simpsons

Parody: Actively involving your audience in the joke by using a familiar subject as the medium for delivering your message.

examples: Weird Al Yankovich, Scary Movie

I see your point. I feel like if I were explaining those ideas to someone who didn't know anything about them, they might not be able to appreciate the difference.

chelcg said...

hey sean thanks man... i'm confused about Alanis being ironic though. I feel there is perhaps a great deal of irony in my life. sigh.
when are you to be in dallas for the decemberists? do you have a place to stay.

travis. Friday night lights? I've had my share of Texas High School Football methinks. It's really as good as NE? We don't have jobs in Dallas yet and YES come south for the winter!

Sean said...

Chels, bad news: I saw the Decemberists in KC a couple weekends ago.

Good news: I'll definantly head down that way at some point. Might not be till december, though. What, you guys return this summer?

travis said...

Friday Night Lights is VERY good. The way it so accurately portrays small town life, and the acting is the kind you can appreciate. Give it a chance.
Was I correct about you knowing Ms. Simpson, or was that someone else???
I am watching the Dallas game right now. The announcer just called the game 6 loss the "greatest defeat in NBA finals history." I like the Mavs and am disappointed.

chelcg said...

let's not talk about the game... no good can come from it.

as far as ms. simpson... NO we were not chummy. In college I was friends with one of her ex-boyfriends, he was still close to her family and such but I was not. not a very exciting story i know.

maybe we'll get around to FNL... Lord knows the acting and writing in Heros is blah, but the story has me.