Saturday, March 10, 2007

No Baby But A Great Record That Sounds Brilliantly Like Bruce Springsteen













Click the image to preview! Hooray Arcade Fire! Hooray Canada!
I fell for these guys last year when I heard so much David Bowie in their Funeral album. This year, this record, I hear a bit of the Boss coming through. And wowie, does it tickle my glad button. I guess incorporating elements from two of THE most important acts in rock history is a formula for success.
Most important rock acts...hmmm.
5. Bruce Springsteen
4. David Bowie
3. Bob Dylan
2. John Cash
1. Robert Johnson/Hank Williams Sr.

8 comments:

Sean said...

I heard Springsteen on the first album: Crown of Love, Une Annee Sans Lumiere, and especially Neighborhood #4 (7 Kettles).

I got the Neon Bible a couple days ago, and haven't listened to it yet. I plan on giving it a thorough listening to between classes on Tuesday.

Finally, Ray Davies trumphs both Lennon/McCartney and Page. The Kinks are maybe the greatest rock band of all time. That said, "Nothing In The World Going To Stop Me Worrying About That Girl" is the most ingenious blend of Brit-pop and Delta Blues I've ever had the pleasure to listen to. So I guess Johnson can still claim some influence on Raymond.

MOL Junior said...

that's a ringing endorsement...really looking forward to that album.

Mr. Douglass said...

carrier pigeons are coming your way...keep you windows open.

i've tried e-mail. i've tried phone. this is the blog effort. we're too far for smoke signals.

Bonnie aka Truffles said...

Aren't you forgetting Elvis? I often do, but he did add to the rock experiment, no?

Sean said...

No.

Anonymous said...

i hear the beatles in every rock song, during and after the british invasion...and rage against the machine is the best band ever, not the Kinks.

Jeremy K.

myleswerntz said...

my initial thought on this album: "someone really love the synthesizer".

Gabe M.D. said...

It's surprising you would rank Bobby Johnson in pole position considering the crash he caused on old 97.