Tuesday, December 12, 2006

When It Comes Down To It...

there's really two kind of people in the world: those who wear Santa Clause hats to work, and the rest of us.

Look, the rest of this post is going to be about Thom Yorke so if you want something else to do, here. (I imagine my target audience to be Trav and Hamster and Pepe and Seaner. Stevie read on if you like, but when you get bored, here.)


So, I've been locked in on York's solo record for going on three weeks straight. And I mean obsessively. Ask my wife and unborn child.


First things first. If you haven't yet, should you buy it? A great question with a fairly easy answer. It all depends on when you jumped off the Radiohead wagon. Look, Kid A and Amnesiac were purposefully polarizing records (more on that later) and if you thought they sounded more like Asteroids than the Radiohead you had come to know and love, you're going to want to stay way from the Eraser. But for many of us, A Thom Yorke vocal could be dropped over the sound of flatulence and we'd still find ourselves hypnotized and rapt with the beauty of it all. Shame on us. There's one, count them one, track on the Eraser that even hints at a band being anywhere in the building. And by "band" I mean Thom on very simple guitar, bass and kit tracks for a total of one looped measure. Everything else sounds like it came from a Powerbook. A British one. A fucking brilliant British one.



Do what you will with that review, but I'm moving on. As I've said, I've been a bit obsessive over York of late, like Kevin with reptiles. I've been consuming TY interviews and performances a dozen at a time for days. Weeks actually. As I've read, two impressive things continually return to the surface about this guy that are worth noting.


One. Yorke takes what he does VERY seriously. Read his interviews and there's not a hint of pretentiousness. What there is LOADS of though, is a sense of responsibility Yorke seems to place on himself. Over and over and over, he says things like "... as a person who is allowed to think a lot". Yorke has about as deep an understanding of his opportunity and responsibility as an artist than anyone since Bob Dylan. This was news to me. He says his content comes from one of two places: one, nightmares and two, an evaluation of what he sees going on around him and how that effects his environment. I knew about the nightmares. But how GREAT is it to hear an artist say, "look, I'm lucky enough to get to give good hard thought to the things around me and respond to them for a living. My plumber doesn't get to do that as much, nor get paid for it. So I want to take it seriously and be good at it. " Beats doing it for the Nookie.


Two. A repetitive lyrical theme for Yorke is the tension that exists between the systematic and the relational; the exaltation of efficiency over individuality and the doom that will come with it. Personally, I would go so far as to say its this message that lies at the core of Radiohead. Yorke often talks about Douglas Copeland in interviews and Radiohead's music and artwork reflect his ideas seamlessly; something innocent, paired with something ominous and or hopeless:



Alright. Thoughts?

Seaner and Pepe, get the whole record. Kevo and Trav start with Black Swan, Analyze, Atoms for Peace and the title track. Stevie, I hear John Mayer is touring. However, if you were going to appreciate anything on this record it might be Black Swan for the neato bass riff. C'mon, its 99 cents.

P.S. - Pepe this is for you. Stick with it for the whole 8 minutes and think systematic religion.

11 comments:

Sean said...

alright, I'm sold

if it sucks i'll never trust you again for anything.

if its good i'll drink a beer in your honor.

let me know when and where we can drink that beer and i'll try my damndest to be there, knowing that either st. louis or dallas are probably too far for a chirstmas trip. I say probably, but i don't stress it, cause i can be talked into anything.

zenner's said...

STL 12/23-1/3
DFW 1/4-1/8

C'mon

travis said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
travis said...

1) I've given it a short listen (I'm open to listening more) and feel that you must like his lyrics, not the music, am I correct? The music makes me feel uneasy and would make me tense if I listened to it for a durarion.
2) Mention John Mayer again and it's over. He bugs me as much as Phish or Fergie. Got it?

travis said...

I like how e uses the f-word in Black swan.

Mr. Douglass said...

yes. i liked the video. as you know, i have to be a VERY good mood to listen to Radiohead -- otherwise, i want to throw myself off the highest building. but you know, even if i was in the depths of my worst depression -- i'd listen to York and Co. in a heart-beat instead of that no-talent ass-clown Mayer. that was for stevie. i promise no more mayer remarks for the rest of the year; i think i can make it two weeks. thanks for the mention on the rel.fash.network

pepe

travis said...

Jesse-
I know that my "humor" can come across kind of sharply/harshly in printed form, so I wanted to let you know, in all honesty, that although I am not an avid Radiohead fan, I do consider 'Fake Plastic Tress' to be one of my favorite songs of all time. I would even consider having it played at my funeral. There is something beautifully resgnitory (sp?) about it that I love.
Regards,
Travis

travis said...

I totally misspelled resignatory... maybe it's not even a word. So maybe I should have used acquiescent.

Anonymous said...

I used to have a radiohead sticker on my probe (that is a car, sicko!)

Jeremy

myleswerntz said...

it was great stuff. couldn't quit drinking from the well of Atoms for Peace. and i have no clue what eronius means.

Ryan said...

I bought that Tom Yorke album and never found my groove with it. I don't know why... On the other hand I have been listening to patrick watson's close to paradise for about three weeks now and have realized that A. X&Y by coldplay should have sounded like this instead and B. this record has soundscapes that inspire.
you can order it form a bookstore for 30 bones or buy it from itunes for a little under 10.
Jesse, I'm telling you that you won't regret this purchase... I don't think...